This is an important part of the enrichment curriculum particularly as an element of citizenship.
The aim is to begin to develop an awareness of the responsibilities in having a voice and how that operates in a democracy.
There are various elements already in place:
• Election of Sixth Form Council members in form groups
• Election of Senior Student by staff and fellow sixth formers with Hustings and a secret ballot
• Regular weekly meetings of the council
• Feedback to classes
The council is self sufficient, managing its own budget and fund raising for facilities. Whilst one function is to organise social events its brief is wide ranging and students are encouraged to discuss other issues.
Other Opportunities for Student Voice:
• Regular questionnaires at various times of the year e.g. Post Induction.
• Visiting Speakers
• Enrichment activities
• Involvement as student ambassadors in school or in the wider community
• National Union of Students website